"Now What?"



 

“It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.” (Ps. 118:8, KJV) 


In the movie, “Forrest Gump”, Gump reacts to his deep grief over Jenny’s leaving by running… first across town…then the county…the state…and finally the entire country and back again. As he ran, he began to pick up a following of others who felt he “had it all together”. 

One runner following closely behind him said, “I’d follow you anywhere, man.” Gump had not spoken a word; he was running simply because he "felt like running".

3 years, 2 months, 14 days, and 16 hours later, as suddenly as he started running, Gump stops. The small mass that followed at a respectable distance from their galloping guru held their breath for the long anticipated words of deep wisdom. One man shushed the expectant crowd, Quiet, quiet! He's gonna say something!"


An exhausted Forrest turned around, and managed a slightly slurred, “I’m pretty tired… I think I’ll go home now.” As Gump parted the now disappointed and disillusioned crowd, one man protested, “Now what are we supposed to do?”  

The Bible warns us “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.” (Ps. 118:8, KJV) 

But that’s easier said than done, isn’t it? I know I often tell myself that I trust God, but my knee-jerk reactions and undercover worry tell another story.

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding”. (Prov. 3:5) 

It's so much easier to talk about trusting the Lord when things are smooth, but our faith and trust are tested when layoffs include you. Health fails and finances soon dwindle as medical bills escalate. Crops dry up, a summons is delivered, family turns on you because of your faith, and years of prayer for the salvation of another seem to be hitting a brick wall. 


"Now what are we supposed to do?"  

In those times, it can grow increasingly difficult to trust God and believe in His promises. Our initial reaction is to lean on our own understanding of the way things appear from our perspective, rather than the way things really are from God’s perspective; trusting Him for what we cannot yet see.

God gives us faith to believe.  Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith (Heb. 11:1). As we read from the Word of God, He strengthens and  nourishes our faith, revealing Himself to us through His Word, teaching us more about Himself, His character and faithfulness.

We learn that He wants us to trust Him, and as we do, we begin to realize how worthy He is of our trust. We can see how faithful He is by what He has already done.

God has promised to love, to forgive, and to never leave us. When we return to the promises of His Word, abiding in His Presence, He corrects our skewed perception and offers us a renewed outlook of our situation. God is a God who can be trusted, for He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God" (Ps. 20:7).

Placing our trust in people, careers, government, or worldly possessions can leave us feeling stranded in the middle of false hopes and dreams.

Placing our trust in God, will never lead us down the road of false hopes or empty promises. And when life brings disappointment and disillusionment, you can be fully assured that what God has promised, He is able also to perform. (Rom. 4:21)

Question: 

Have you ever followed someone or something you thought held all the answers, only to learn it was empty promises? 

Leave me a comment below........... Let's Pray: 

Father, I thank you for the gift of faith through Jesus Christ our Lord. Teach me Lord, to trust You with all my heart, not just part of it, leaning not on my own understanding, nor relying on the empty promises of man. Help me, Holy Spirit, to rest in the security of the Word of God, that I may find the sweet spot of complete trust and hope in You. Thank you that You are on my side, and will never leave me stranded.  I seek Your strength and Your wisdom, O God, that I might lift Your name on high regardless of my circumstances. I love you, oh Lord, my Strength. In Jesus’ precious name, I pray, amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this post. I appreciate every comment. Blessings!